A List of Helpful Publications for POTTS Researchers
Last Revised: April 9, 2013
There are a number of quite useful published references for Potts surname researchers. However, the
usefulness varies since the intentions of the authors and compilers were varied.
Some of the references are specific to a particular Potts line, i.e., a particular Potts
individual and some or all of his descendants. At least one other reference is generic;
it examines all Potts lines (and some variations thereof). A third category of
references is one in which a particular Potts family is included incident to several other
family surname lines. The list below is not exhaustive and I welcome news of additional references. Publication availability, if known, is indicated at the end of the descriptions provided for each publication.
To view a description of the contents of a reference please click on the embedded link. Not all references have a separate description. There are additional useful links within the descriptions, some for viewing the publication at another site and some for downloading the reference in various formats at this or another site.
Nearer the bottom of this page there is a list of miscellaneous Potts files also available for downloading.
Generic Potts Line Reference:
- The Potts Family in Great Britain and America (short title), compiled by Thomas Maxwell Potts, published by the compiler, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., 1901.
- Potts Family Miscellanea: Genealogy Data, compiled by Thomas Maxwell Potts, published by the compiler, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., 1907.
Specific Potts Line References:
- Memorial of Thomas Potts, Jr. (short title), by Isabella
Batchelder James, published by the author, Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.A., 1874.
- Thomas Potts [Shield] (short title), compiled by Gloria Potts
Stracke, published by the compiler, San Francisco, California, U.S.A., 1980.
- Jonathan Potts 1714-1785, compiled by Joseph J. Reichel, published
by the compiler, Aurora, Colorado, U.S.A., 1980, revised 2004.
- The Pott(s) Family of Herefordshire, U.K., compiled by Michael J. Potts, published by the compiler, Bexleyheath, Kent, England, 2006.
- The Potts Family of Westmoreland, Indiana, compiled by Douglas S.
Wilson, published by the compiler, 1987.
- The Thomas Potts Family of South Carolina, compiled by Becky Sue
Wallace, published by the compiler, Irving, Texas, U.S.A., 1998.
- David Potts, A Soldier of the American Revolution, compiled by Katherine Potts MacDonald, published by the compiler in 1994.
- The Family of Samuel Potts (1789-1847) and Martha Baker (1794-1853) of Perryville, KY, compiled by Glenda Potts Thacker, 2009 draft copy by the compiler.
- A Short Biographical Sketch of Major James Potts, by Thomas Maxwell Potts, published by the author in 1877.
- Pot, Pott and Potts Families, by Hubert A. Loman, published by the author, date unknown.
- Pot, Pott and Potts in the Netherlands, England and the United States (USA), compiled by Lynn E. Waterman, provided by the compiler in 2007.
- A History of the Potts Family, compiled by Geoffrey William Potts, transcript by Barry Douglas Potts.
- The Potts Family Descendants of Oswald Potts, by J. Ivan Potts
Jr., published by the compiler in 1983.
- Potts of Leeds (England), by Michael S. Potts, published by Mayfield Books, England, 2006.
- Isaiah L. (Looney/Luney/Luna) Potts Genealogy, extracted and updated by William R. Carr, published on the Internet January 6, 2001.
- Twenty Generations of Potts - 1405 to 2001, compiled by Christopher Perry Potts and Wilburn Allen Potts, published by the compilers in 2000, updated in 2005.
- Potts Family History, by Clara Ethel Potts, published by the compiler, date unknown, availability unknown.
- The Family of John Potts (1709/10-1768), ironmaster, and Ruth Savage (1715/16-1786) of Pottstown, Pennsylvania through the fourth generation: a genealogical sketch, by Daniel A. Graham, December 2006, 96 pages, illustrations, genealogical tables (see footnote no. 1).
- Isaac Potts (1750-1803) of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania and the Valley Forge "Washing at prayer" legend : a biographical sketch, Daniel A. Graham, 2000, 12 pages, illustrations, maps (see footnote no. 1).
- The Loyalist: John Potts, Jr. (1738-c1800) of Pottstown, Pennsylvania and his descendants through grandchildren : a biographical and genealogical sketch, Daniel A. Graham, 1998, 100 pages, illustrations, maps (see footnote no. 1).
Incidental Potts Line References:
- Early Records of Simpson Families (short title), compiled by Helen Augusta Simpson, published by J. B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., 1927.
- Additions and Corrections to the above, by Helen Augusta Simpson, published by J. B. Lippincott Co., 1929.
- Looking Back - The Alexander/Wells Families, by Bonnie Alexander, completed by Lyndoll L. Wells, 1990.
- Our Family Ancestors, by Thomas Maxwell Potts, published by the author, 1895.
- The Family of Samuel Potts (1789-1847) and Martha Baker (1794-1853) Originally of Perryville, KY, with information on the following families: Baker, Roney, Braxdale, Crutchfield, Collier, Latimer, Bruce, Lawrence, Thomas, Stewart, Sheets/Meredith, Aldrich, and Harness, by Glenda Potts Thacker, draft revision October 28, 2009. This reference will be available for download soon.
- Thomas Rutter III (1732-1795) and Martha Potts (1740-1804) of Eastern Pennsylvania and descendants through their grandchildren, by Daniel A. Graham, 1993, 41 pages, 2 leaves (see footnote no. 1).
- Good business and astute Matchmaking : the ascendancy of Thomas Potts (c1680-1752) of Berks County, Pennsylvania in the early charcoal iron industry of Pennsylvania : a biographical and historical sketch, by Daniel A. Graham, 1997, 89 pages, illustrations, maps (see footnote no. 1).
- Valley Forge ironmakers: William Dewees (c1737-c1809) and his Potts and Hockley kin : a biographical and historical sketch: with a short history of the Valley Forge ironworks, 1757-1785, by Daniel A. Graham, 1999, 84 pages, illustrations, genealogical table, maps (see footnote no. 1).
- Colebrook Dale furnace ironmaster : Thomas Potts II (c1720-1762), a biographical and genealogical sketch with notes on the family of Thomas Potts II and Rebecca Rutter (c1723-1750) of Colebrook Dale, Berks County, Pennsylvania through grandchildren, by Daniel A. Graham, 2000, 80 pages, illustrations (see footnote no. 1).
- The David Rutter (1766-1817) and Mary Anna Potts (c1767-1824) family of Pine Forge, Berks County, and Pottstown, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, by Daniel A. Graham, 2001, 31 pages, illustrations (see footnote no. 1).
- Robert May (1750-1812) and family : ironmaster of Elkton, Maryland and Coventry, Chester County, Pennsylvania: a genealogical and biographical sketch : with a short history of Coventry Forge, Chester County, Pennsylvania, by Daniel A. Graham, 2002, 48 pages, illustrations, map (see footnote no. 1).
- Elk Forge (1761-1841), Cecil County, Maryland : a historical sketch, by Daniel A. Graham, 2002, 39 pages, 7 leaves, maps (see footnote no. 1).
- Rutter's bloomery, (1716-1720), Berks County, Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania's first iron work : a historic sketch, by Daniel A. Graham, 2003, 27 pages, 5 leaves, maps (see footnote no. 1).
- Samuel Savage, Sr. (c1655-1707), stonemason, and descendants of Philadelphia, Berks and Chester Counties, Pennsylvania, through the fourth generation : a genealogical sketch, by Daniel A. Graham, 2004, 67 pages, 9 leaves (see footnote no. 1).
1. All of the publications written by Daniel A. Graham are available for perusal at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, PA, which offers online searches of its library at http://opac.hsp.org.
Miscellaneous Potts Information:
- Old Pendleton District, South Carolina, Database containing 337,452 individuals (including 51 Potts). This is a self-extracting file that results in the installation of the Mud Creek Genealogy Viewer, a powerful and feature-rich self-viewing application that allows you to view and manipulate the information in many different ways. Download.
- Descendants of Henry Potts of Derbyshire, England who married Francis Yates in 1819. Family members emigrated to Australia between 1841 and 1855. Seven Generations are given. Compiled by Delsie Potts. Download.
- Descendants of Robert Potts of Newcastle, Northumberland, England who married Mary Arthur in 1751. Seven Generations are given. Compiled by Barbara E. Potts and Jan Kerrigan. Download.
- Fourth Creek Church Congregation - 1775, 196 families that settled around what is now Statesville, Iredell County, NC. Download.
- Pott and Potts who lived in the towns of Kent, U.K., (627 individuals) in MS Excel 97 format. Includes place and date of birth, place and date of marriage, place and date of death, parents' names, and source of information. Provided by David Pott of the U.K. Note: These Pott/Potts are not in the POTTS Surname Database. Download.
- U. K. National Trust surname mapping, density of the 10,008 Potts in England and Scotland in 1881 (information taken from the 1881 U. K. census). Map If the map is not presented, click on Search for a Name, enter the year 1881 and the name Potts, and click on Find. Note: April 9, 2013. This web site has apparently been taken over by Ancestry.com and has been reorganized and now requires a subscription.
- Coming: more odds and ends from my file archives..
The Potts Surname Database
Design by Cybet Solutions
Copyright © 2007-2009 by Cyrus E. Potts